Monday, March 15, 2010

Spring Break in review

Today is the first day back to class after the wonderful week long break break for spring.

This means that my newsfeed on facebook will be making sure that I am well aware of the 50 new albums that 15 of my friends are tagged in -giving me plenty of opportunities to 1. waste my time and 2. to feel inferior to everyone else's vacations.
The problem with this is that it leaves me focusing on what I've 'missed out' on instead of being thankful for how relaxing my break was and what I was able to accomplish.
This might sound like a simple and unimportant issue... and maybe it is, but God is quick to remind me of Ephesians 5:3 which says, 'But among you there must not even be a hint of...greed, for this is improper for God's holy people'.
With this in mind I'm trying to be conscious of what I let my mind think about- especially in regards to this past week. Being able to stay in Knoxville and work without having to go to class really was enough for me. Not having the obligation of going to class freed me to do other things that I really enjoy- primarily what I like to call my 3 R's: rest, run, and read!
Today as I was sitting in class I thought about the song that says 'you can have all this world but give me Jesus'. A girl that I know had just finished talking about her 5 day cruise to Mexico, filled with parties and many hours of sunbathing. But I couldn't help but think how unfulfilled she is spiritually. I would much rather have spent 5 days in the comfortable arms of my Savior learning, resting, and growing in Him than 'living it up' on a cruise to Mexico...or anywhere for that matter.
So for me, the next time I hear about an awesome week or see pictures that I'm tempted (Christy) to look at I'll consciously make the effort to remember how God blessed me, genuinely blessed me, with rest this week- and I'll be thankful- not in comparison, because people will always have better things than me, but because God knew just what I needed- and this week was specifically just for me.


And just to clarify....I don't mean for this to come across as me setting a golden rule for what people should do. This is my spring break in review and what I got out of it. Like I said I wish that I could have gone somewhere -so don't think I'm saying everyone needs to forego vacations for the sake of spiritual disciplines. This was just me blogging about my life and my view of it. So no judgmental thoughts here : )

No comments:

Post a Comment