Monday, March 21, 2011

tweet.

"The significance of prayer lies not in it's outcome, rather it's existence."

I can't make such a statement without coming to terms with how weak I am. To be honest, I desire the outcome. Perhaps I haven't completely realized this because it seems that my life has been graciously void of so many heartbreaking circumstances.

There is a mystery concerning prayer that will be unveiled only when we are face to face with the Lord (1 Corinthians 13: 12). Until then, I need to be reminded that prayer is a divine invitation presented to us, through grace. I must, in unforeseen pain, realize that prayer is about communication. So when the request of physical healing may 'fail', at God's discretion , I must remind my hard-headed self that prayer doesn't become unnecessary or ineffective when I do not see results.

I am fearful, and at the moment more aware, of just how weak I am; thinking about how I have relied on prayer for it's visible results rather than appreciating it for the reality of what it is.

I am still learning. I am afraid that I have fooled myself into thinking that there is a quick-fix tweet-able answer to some of life's most gut-wrenching realities. Solutions and summaries don't fit into a 140 character limit. We are much too weak and need so much grace to come to terms with the mystery of prayer.


No comments:

Post a Comment