Saturday, November 20, 2010

Saturday Afternoon Thoughts

It always frustrates me how I never make blogging happen. Let's just add that to the list of things that don't get done.

I feel like, and fully believe this theory, that if I didn't impose my own expectations into my 'to-do list' that I would be more satisfied in what I do. What if we could all take an objective view at what really needed to be done, the bare bones (not in a slacking lazy sort of way, but in a freeing way) and we allowed ourselves to be content with that.

For me it comes back to some basic reoccurring themes I have been working on in my life: Sabbath rest, contentment, and enjoyment.

Recently, in this past week I have been camping out in Ecclesiastes- just doing a chapter a day. And in every chapter it seems to say- in one way or another, that it is best to 'find satisfaction (enjoyment) in our work' (2:24-25; 3:12-13; 5:18).

Beyond satisfaction, there is this principle of Sabbath rest. To be honest, it doesn't yet make sense to me. I am just beginning to recognize it's importance, yet still wrestling with the specifics of what it needs to look like for me. How do I live my other 6 days in order to best use- for lack of a better word- the Sabbath for what it is, rather ought, to be?

And contentment: Paul talks about learning this secret in Philippians 4. I have heard some insight recently about the way(s) to find contentment... 1. Since coveting is the bookend to the 10 commandments and loving God above all others is the first- by tying the two together, it would make sense that we find contentment (the opposite of coveting) by having no other gods before Him. 2. after Philippians 4:11- learning to be content, comes Philippians 4:13- doing all things through Christ who gives me strength. Something about the order and placement of those two verses sticks out to me. In relying on God's strength, and knowing that all things are possible because of, and through, Him - I know that whatever is needed in my life will come about by His ability, not mine.

These past few weeks I have been challenged with some new ideas. I'm thankful for this time. Thankful for where I am. And thankful that it doesn't always make sense.
I am continuing to trust that it is Creator God Himself "counseling me and watching over me" (Psalm 32:8).
Continue to live one day at a time. To fill those days with love; and to keep your gaze fixed on the road ahead, and the glorious prize to which we have been called.

No comments:

Post a Comment