Thursday, May 12, 2011

what a woman

Not attempting to take away from the significance of John 20:10-18 I wanted to point out this stereotype of women that is personified by Mary Magdalene in verse 11. The verse before tells us that after discovering the empty tomb the disciples go back to their homes. And that Mary, representing the women well, "stood outside the tomb crying".

Isn't it just like a woman to let out a few tears from time to time!

When Mary looks into the tomb (of course because women are curious) she sees two angles sitting where the body of Jesus had been. The angles are first to ask the question. "Woman, why are you crying?" Mary responds very matter-of-factly, "They have take my Lord away and I don't know where they have put him".

Turning around, not yet aware that it is the Lord speaking to her, He asks Mary the question again: "Woman, why are you crying?"

What a question! Especially to be asked twice in such a short amount of time. What it would have been like to be Mary. Crying alone in a more distressful, but secretly hopeful, time than I can imagine. Goodness knows for me sometimes there is no justifiable answer as to why I cry, and I don't like always being asked to explain it either. How much more in Mary's case!

I love the detail that the Bible shows. Even to the extent of saying that the men went home and the woman stayed there to cry.... and what a woman she was!!

No comments:

Post a Comment