Saturday, September 4, 2010

game day outfit

Now before you roll your eyes at the title, let me explain.

So it's "Football time in Tennessee"!!! Meaning, among other things, A LOT OF ORANGE - everywhere! (never a bad thing if you ask me)
Girls on campus (no, I will not exclude myself out of this category) talk about the 'game day outfit' all week. Dresses are preferable, and yes, I will confess that this is an outfit that has been planned out for a while.
It is with this in mind that I reflect on the words of God, as recorded by Paul in Colossians 3. There's a word in verse 12 that grabs my attention: clothe; and it's the list of words following after the word that has made me think on this verse.... for about as long as I think about my 'game day outfit' if we were to be honest.
Compassion. Kindness. Humility. Gentleness. Patience. Love.
(I have a clever slash ridiculous way of remembering these 6 traits, ask me if you ever want to know.. I prefer to think it's clever...)

Let me go ahead and state the obvious- that what you clothe yourself is visible. I feel like that is a fair statement to make. So when Paul writes, saying to clothe yourself with these virtues, I believe that it is with the purpose of making them visible in our lives.
Visible.
Just as visible as the perfect combination of orange and white I will be wearing today.
It would do the people I come in contact with today more of a service if I was kind, compassionate, humble, gentle, patient, and loving than just by displaying my love for the VOLS. People today need this (Philippians 2:4). They need love, compassion, kindness, etc. and I pray that that is just noticeable as what I'm wearing.
This could definitely be a ridiculous way to make a point, but it really hits home for me.
Have a great day! Enjoy the start of fall football!
GO VOLS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment